Temerant is the world where the events of The Kingkiller Chronicle take place.
The entire geographical extent of Temerant is unknown; most of the known part is occupied by a very large peninsula extending west from the Stormwal Mountains. It is mentioned that the world stretches past these mountains into a region whose geography is mainly unknown but that includes at least the Tahl Forest and a large desert, mentioned by a girl when Skarpi is telling his stories.
The territory of the known part is split into several nations, including:
- The Four Corners of Civilization, which represent the civilized world, and within which are located the following:
- The Commonwealth, located in the southwest.
- The country of Ceald, located in the northwest.
- The country of Modeg, located in the northeast.
- The country of Vintas, located in the southeast.
- The Aturan Empire, located mainly in the middle of the Four Corners, between Ceald and the Commonwealth to the west and Modeg and the Small Kingdoms to the east.
- The Small Kingdoms, located south of the Aturan Empire and west of Vintas.
- The country of Yll, which shares an island with the Commonwealth, south of the mainland.
- Ademre: A land located in the foothills of the Stormwal Mountains, northeast of Modeg.
Coexisting alongside the mortal world is the realm of The Fae, a parallel universe inhabited largely by supernatural creatures.
A great variety of species inhabits Temerant, including:
- Humans/Mortals: The main species in Temerant.
- Draccus: A species of large herbivorous reptilian creatures, known for their ability to breathe fire.
- Scrael: A species of spider-like creatures considered demons by the commonfolk.
- Angels: A race of supernatural beings who serve under Aleph in bringing justice to the mortal world, and who protect and guide human beings.
- Skin dancers: A race of Fae creatures that can possess and control the bodies of living organisms.
- Sipquicks/flits: A species of small, pretty nectar-feeding birds.
- Cats: A small, usually furry, domesticated and carnivorous mammal.
- Dogs: A small, usually furry/hairy, domesticated and carnivorous mammal.
- Rats: A small furry rodent.
- Demons: A catch-all term for any non-human creatures for which the average human has no frame of reference.
- Main article: Magic
There are at least six types of magic in the world of Temerant. They can be separated into two predominant types of apparent magic:
- Arcanist's arts: Arts practiced by arcanists and students of the University.
- Alchemy: an art that uses chemistry-like principles to concoct potions which can produce any manner of results
- Sympathy and sygaldry: an art that uses strength of will (in the case of sympathy) and the application of runes (in the case of sygaldry) to usurp the laws of physics and manipulate energy
- Naming: an art that invokes a True Name, typically of an elemental substance such as wind or rock, to command the named thing to behave as one wills
- Fae magic: Magic wielded by Fae creatures.
|World of Temerant|
|Calendar ▪ History ▪ Currencies ▪ Languages ▪ Music|
|This article lacks critical information, proper style or formatting.|
|This page requires editing to meet Kingkiller Wiki's quality standard.|