In Temerant, most nations have developed a unique language.
List of languages
The following is a list of languages known throughout the history of Temerant.
- Aturan: the dominant language spoken in many parts of The Four Corners of Civilization, including the remains of The Aturan Empire, The Commonwealth and Vintas
- Siaru: the dominant language spoken in Ceald
- Ademic and Adem sign language: the dominant forms of communication in Ademre
- Temic: an ancient language predating Tema
- Tema: the child language of Temic, spoken by the Amyr, before the collapse of The Aturan Empire
- Eld Vintic: the ancient language spoken in Vint before The Aturan Empire took control of the nation
- Yllish: the ancient language spoken in Yll before The Aturan Empire took control of the nation
- Fae language: the primary language spoken in the faen realm, dialects include the ancient Mael language
The Archives potentially contains the knowledge to learn any language. However some languages, such as Yillish are old languages that very few people speak, and thus are difficult to learn without proper instruction. There are potentially very many more languages that have just not been explained and many more dialects in those.
The following is a list of terms or phrases used by individuals in Temerant. The language of the terms are unknown.
|Aroi te denna-leyan||Abjuration against demons, not Temic "denna-leyan" might be a word for dennerling|
|Celum Tinture||Title of a Chemistry or Alchemy text.|
|Lhin ta Lu soren hea||Kvothe says this when testing Chronicler. Lhin, though, is a Siaru word.|
|kvothe||To know (as told to Kvothe by his father) |
|Ferula||Haliax uses this word to injure and control Cinder, it may be his true Name or even a slightly modified version of Ferule, to avoid saying Cinder's true name more than once in the telling of his story.|
|Silanxi||The name of stone in Skarpi's story|
|Aeruh||The name of air in Skarpi's story|
|Cyaerbasalien||Elodin uses this to break a wall in the crockery. Unknown. "Cyae" has already been noted as Yllish.|
|Regium Ignaul Neratum||Bone-tar. Actual translation unknown.|
|El'the||Third rank of student in the Arcanum. Unknown|
|Valaritas||Enscribed on the four-plate door. Unknown|
|"Skethe te retaa van"||Kvothe swears with this phrase, Unknown.. Used immediately before Kvothe says to Denna, "Lock up your sons and daughters", after Denna claims her date is a Lord. Vashet calls Kvothe a "twiggy little skeeth", presumably in Aturan.|
|Auri||Kvothe says it means sunny, but doesn't know where he learned it or the language|
|En Temerant Voistra||Book title. Temerant is the name of the world in which The Kingkiller Chronicle takes place. Unknown|
|Tirani||a thinker (the name of a game that Puppet talks about|
|Edro||Open. Probably a loanword from Sindarin.|
|Ludis||Name of the moon in Hespe's story|
- ↑ The Name of the Wind, Chapter 1, "A Place for Demons"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Name of the Wind, Chapter 7, "Of Beginnings and the Names of Things"
- ↑ The Name of the Wind, Chapter 9, "Riding in the Wagon with Ben"
- ↑ The Name of the Wind, Chapter 16, "Hope"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 The Name of the Wind, Chapter 26, "Lanre Turned"
- ↑ The Name of the Wind, Chapter 28, "Tehlu_s Watchful Eye"
- ↑ The Name of the Wind, Chapter 46, "The Ever-Changing Wind"
- ↑ The Name of the Wind, Chapter 62, "Leaves"
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 The Name of the Wind, Chapter 86, "The Fire Itself"
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 The Wise Man's Fear, Chapter 40, "Puppet"
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 The Name of the Wind, Chapter 69, "Wind or Women s Fancy"
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 The Name of the Wind, Chapter 89, "A Pleasant Afternoon"
- ↑ The Wise Man's Fear, Chapter 5, "The Eolian"
- ↑ The Wise Man's Fear, Chapter 11, "Haven"
- ↑ The Wise Man's Fear, Chapter 12, "The Sleeping Mind"
- ↑ The Wise Man's Fear, Chapter 83, "Lack of Sight"
- ↑ The Wise Man's Fear, Chapter 88, "Listening"
|World of Temerant|
|Calendar ▪ History ▪ Currencies ▪ Languages ▪ Music|
|This article lacks critical information, proper style or formatting.|
|This page requires editing to meet Kingkiller Wiki's quality standard.|